For nearly a century, the Slovenian Union of America has been dedicated to preserving the legacy of our Slovenian heritage. Writing has played an essential role in sustaining our culture and our communities. The SUA Slovenian Literary Award was established in 2019 to honor those who continue this vital tradition.
Accepting Submissions from November 1, 2023 - January 31, 2024 at 5 pm EST
Applicants will be asked to provide a short biographical statement and submit work here:
• Open to first time writers as well as published authors
• Open to all genres of creative writing.
• Short Stories, Novels, Poetry, Memoir, Creative Nonfiction, Personal Essays, Narrative Nonfiction, and Screenplays are welcome.
• Musical compositions will not be considered.
• Works in Slovene are acceptable, although we may request a translation.
• Up to 3 submissions per writer (but only one may be book-length.)
• Applicants may live anywhere but must have a connection to Slovenian culture or heritage.
• Individual writers only, 18 years and up. SUA membership is not required.
• Works are judged blind by a committee that includes writers.
• Winner to be announced in June 2024.
For more information please contact: email@example.com
2023 Winning Submission My Vacation on the Island Rab for F.P. (1921–2010) by Julia N. Petrich
2022 Winning Submission Leaving Home in 1913 by Amy Fradel.
Under Ground by Megan Marsnik
2020 Winning Submission
“The Necklace.” by Allyn Howey
“At the Potica Workshop”
by Blair Kilpatrick