Slovenian Union of America (SUA)
Educational Grant Program
2016-2017 Academic Year
The Board of Directors of SUA believes that the preservation of the Slovenian culture in America as well as the future leadership of the organization depends upon having persons who have pursued growth in their academic and vocational educations. Further, the Board believes that financial limitations may have an important influence toward the ability of students to pursue their goals. While other sources of financial aid, such as scholarships and tuition aid may be sought, the SUA Educational Grant Program is directed to other expenses, such as book costs, lab fees and fees beyond tuition, which pose a limitation on persons pursuing their educations. There are no age limits on eligibility for award of Educational Grants.
1. Deadline for Educational Grant application submissions is July 31, 2017 (No exceptions).
2. Refer to criteria below for eligibility requirements and application submission requirements.
3. Type or print legibly. Illegible or incomplete applications will be returned to applicants. You may also download a copy of the application on-line at www.slovenianunion.org.
4. You will be notified by mail regarding the outcome of consideration of your application.
5. If you have any questions about the application process, contact the Selection Committee, the address of which is listed below.
To assist SUA members of all ages to pursue their educational goals.
1. Applicant must have an acceptance letter from an accredited college, university, vocational or trade school, or must provide evidence of already pursuing a program at such an institution.
2. Applicant must be a member of SUA in good standing.
3. Applicant must submit a description of educational objectives, including ambitions with regard to a leadership role in SUA .
4. Applicant entering a school must provide evidence of having been awarded a high school diploma. If already pursuing training at a higher level school, they must provide a description of the current status of their progress toward completion of a program, and their GPA.
5. Applicant may submit evidence of awards (educational and/or athletic) received while attending high school, or if already pursuing a post-high school program, any awards received to date.
6. Only one SUA Educational Grant per student may be awarded for an academic year.
7. Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
Applicant must submit the following items to the Education Grant Selection Committee at the address listed below:
1. Completed application form.
2. A copy of your high school transcript or the most recent transcript with the cumulative GPA from a higher level institution.
3. A personal essay describing your educational and career goals and your intentions toward participation in a SUA leadership role. The statement should be at least 250 words in length. Attach additional sheets to the application form with the applicant’s name at the top of each.
4. A recommendation prepared by a high school instructor who knows you or a current college or vocational school instructor.
Deadline for applications is July 31, 2016. Applications postmarked after this date will not be considered.
Grant awards for books, fees and other expenses not covered by other scholarships and financial aid will be issued directly to the award recipient upon submission of receipts for the items covered by the grant.
Educational Grant awards will be featured in Zarja.
Please mail or submit application to:
Educational Grant Selection Committee
Slovenian Union of America
431 North Chicago Street
Joliet, IL, 60432-1703
Cultural Preservation and Sharing Program
Objectives and Submission Guidelines
The newly established SUA Cultural Preservation and Sharing Program will seek to facilitate the recording of programs that can be shared with other SUA branches for reuse—thus expanding their impact. This new program will seek to provide technical assistance and funding for recording programs. The objective is that (possibly copyrightable) DVDs, recordings, and PowerPoint presentations can be developed for sharing.
It is believed that SUA can provide technical assistance and funds for recording cultural events to produce a collection of materials that can be made available to SUA branches…as well as to other groups.
Topics that would be suitable candidates for recording and sharing include:
• Preparation of Slovenian foods.
• Construction of Slovenian cultural materials such as bobbin lace.
• Sound recordings of performances of Slovenian songs and melodies.
• Recordings of interviews.
• Discussions of research projects involving genealogy or history of Slovenian-American churches.
• Subjects which have not taken place in public settings but involve things done by individuals under convenient circumstances.
• Also possible would be written materials, copies of which could be shared with branches as a basis for presentations.
Guidelines for submission of proposals for technical and financial assistance follow:
While is hoped that the program will be flexible in terms of willingness to receive proposals throughout the year, initially there will be an annual invitation and assessment by a committee operating out of the SUA headquarters.
1. Deadline for application submissions is July 2016.
2 . Refer to criteria below for eligibility requirements and application submission requirements.
3. Download a copy of the application form on line available at www.slovenionunion.org.
4. Applicants will be notified by mail regarding the outcome of the consideration of their appli- cation.
5. If you have any questions about the application process, contact the SUA President Mary Lou Voelk. Her contact information is email@example.com.
Purpose: To facilitate the recording and sharing of materials dealing with Slovenian culture, emphasis will be placed on that culture in America.
Award Criteria and Conditions:
1. Applicants must be current SUA members in good standing, and proposals for receipt of financial support must involve topics related to some aspect of Slovenian culture.
2. In the initial operation of the program, applications will only be considered from SUA members, individuals, or branches. No rights to materials assisted by SUA assistance will be permitted to be acquired solely by applicants. Rights to distribution and use will normally be held by SUA, or shared with the originator.
3. Applicants must submit a description of the program they wish to conduct and have recorded. Related information includes: sponsors name and branch; key individuals involved in planning and conducting the event; location at which the event is to be conducted; and expected duration of the event to be recorded. Also to be included is the means by which the event would be recorded, the media to be used and the persons proposed to do the recording. SUA may provide assistance in terms of identifying the event on the recording, sponsors and key parties involved, as well as formatting.
4. Applicants must include the amount of funds requested to assist the recording, and for what purpose they would be used must be stated.
5. The length of materials recorded for sharing should not be less than 15 minutes nor more than 60 minutes in the edited recorded format.
6. Only one SUA grant per year may be awarded to an applicant.
7. The number and amount of grants will be determined by the amount of tax deductible donations made by SUA members as well as other gifts and grants received and earmarked for the program.
8. Grants are intended to fully or partially cover costs only…and not to include personal compensation.
9. SUA may also acquire materials for archiving to which others hold rights.
10. Materials acquired through this program may also be shared with other organizations, such as public TV and local cable channels, to reach larger audiences.
Applicant must submit the following items:
1. Completed application form (if handwritten, please print legibly). If the form does not provide adequate space, additional sheets can be appended; noting the title of the proposal on each additional sheet.
2. Applications are to be sent to the Cultural Preservation and Sharing Selection Committee,
c/o SUA Headquarters, 431 North Chicago Street, Joliet, IL 60432-1703 …or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awards of Cultural Preservation and Sharing Grants will be featured in Zarja.